DCSIMG
2013-11-11
HK's sanctions threat unchanged
HKT 16:00

C Y Leung. RTHK file photo
The Chief Executive, C Y Leung, has indicated that the government won't lift the threat of sanctions against the Philippines in view of the devastation caused to the country by Typhoon Haiyan. Mr Leung said last week that sanctions will be imposed within a month, unless progress is made in talks over an official apology and compensation following the Manila bus hijacking three years ago. Mr Leung said the government sympathises with the victims of the storm, but stood by the threat of sanctions. But legislator Frederick Fung from the Association for Democracy and People's Livelihood said Hong Kong should discuss with Manila whether there's a need to put back the deadline for possible sanctions as the country grapples with the aftermath of the disaster. The chairman of the Democratic Alliance for the Betterment and Progress of Hong Kong, Tam Yiu-chung, said he did not believe it was necessary to defer the sanctions' deadline at this stage. Labour Party legislator, Fernando Cheung, said the government should push ahead with the sanctions as the issue's dragged on for so long. RTHK television producer, Leslie Ng, went to the Philippines with two colleagues as Typhoon Haiyan was about to hit the country. He said they saw a lot of destruction in the city of Tacloban. Filipinos living in Hong Kong are raising funds to help their relatives and friends back home. A spokeswoman for the Asian Migrants Co-ordinating Body, Dolores Balladares, said people will be collecting donations in Central on Sunday while prayer services will be held in churches. She said Filipino organisations in the territory have been inundated with calls from people seeking help to get in touch with their families in the Philippines.

Share with friends
Share to Facebook
Share to Twitter


繁體版>    简体版>
字型大小 Font size: A A